The Art of Beekeeping in Northern Climates – Century College (Wednesdays) week 5 of 5 week course
February 12, 2020, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$149
Our 5-session beekeeping class will help you get started in the fascinating world of beekeeping and introduce you to the basic tools and knowledge needed to keep honeybees responsibly and productively. Whether you are an experienced beekeeper, a new beekeeper, or about to start your own backyard or neighborhood hive, this class will walk you through the basic knowledge needed to start and maintain hives.
5-session program: January 15, 22, 29, Febrary 5 and 12, (Wednesdays 6:00 - 9:00pm)
Please note: The price includes all 5 sessions. Registration link will be active closer to the class dates.
You will learn:
• The benefits of bees in our environment
• Basic honeybee biology and behavior
• How to select an apiary site and start a bee colony
• Which beekeeping equipment you absolutely need to keep honeybees in Minnesota
• Different types of safe colony management techniques used in Minnesota throughout the year, including:
• How to do regular colony inspections all spring, summer, and fall
• What to look for, how to prevent problems, and how to intervene when needed
• Hive products, including how to extract and care for honey
• How to prepare your honeybee colonies for winter
• How to manage surviving colonies the following year
• What resources are available for beekeepers and how to connect with other beekeepers
Instructor: JoAnne Sabin. This class meets Wednesdays from 6pm to 9pm, for 5 weeks.
Register online (URL below and search for Beekeeping or register by phone: 651-779-3341 with the course name(s) & number(# 1TEC-0082 – 1).